Saturday, January 15, 2011

More Anthropomorphic Vegetables in History

The Vegetable Museum - 07, Ju Duoqi, 2008 Napoleon on Potatoes


The Vegetable Museum - 03, Ju Duoqi, 2008 The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Pickled Cabbage

The Vegetable Museum - 19, Ju Duoqi, 2008 The Birth of the Radish

I am happy that I have found a way of life for women who love the home. I have found an environmental way of bringing work and life together. From imagination to reconstruction and postproduction, it burns through tons of boring hours....As a medium that decodes time, photography is my favorite. Everything has a spirit, each vegetable, each person, and each second, under careful observation, has extraordinary meaning. What makes me happy is that when I see Napoleon on his Potato, I can think back to when I fried him up and ate him at two in the morning in the summer of ’08. Through photographs, memory becomes sentiment. I never leave the house, and when I do I rarely travel more than 15 kilometers. In a studio, with a knife, a box of toothpicks and some vegetables, I can make small sculptures and slap together big scenes, using a woman’s most effortless and thrifty method of fantasizing about the larger world.

-- from Ju Duoqi's artist statement regarding her Vegetable Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment