Sunday, August 11, 2013

Inspiration Analytical and Physical: Biology Explored by Eran Gilat and Ellen Cantor

Erin Gilant
Erin Gilant


Erin Gilant
Eran Gilant's Life Science series  (above) are elegant, memento mori which juxtapose biological specimens with implements both domestic and quasi-scientific.  They are at once clinical, classical and sexualized. 
"My "Life Science” project situates biological tissue into relatively pleasant, sometimes artificial scenarios, contemplating issues of materialism, erotica and mortality, corresponding with the complicated and intriguing category of “Animal Reminder” in the visual arts."

Ellen Cantor's project, (below) Unorthodox Anatomy, has food as a human biological stand in…as spinal column, raw and sliced.  "For this series, I have created a visualization of what my spine looks like to me--not the real spine, but an unorthodox view of my anatomy. These photographs convey my feelings of living with a disability, the pain of aging and daily confrontation with my mortality." 

All work addresses the contradictions of biological beauty and function.




Ellen Cantor
Ellen Cantor

Ellen Cantor


No comments:

Post a Comment